Bryan is Here!!!!

Friday, January 28, 2011

The power of chlorine & 28 Weeks

It always amazes me how a smell can totally transform your thought process, can take you back to another place, another time.  Last night, for the first time in probably close to thirteen years, I got in a lap pool and actually swam laps.  I swam in high school, and although I wasn't this amazing athlete, until I screwed up my knee summer between JR and SR year I did pretty good.  I pushed myself really hard the summer between FR and SO year and made the varsity team as a sophomore.  I loved spending 2 hours a day in the water just me and my thoughts.  It was not only great exercise, it was very therapeutic mentally.  I truly forgot how much I enjoyed that time.  I attempted to join the team in college, but my knee just wasn't up for the abuse.  I've come up with all the excuses in the book not to go back; I don't have the right gear, The gym is so far I'm gone for 90+ minutes for just a 30 min swim, the chlorine makes me itch, blah blah blah excuse excuse excuse.  While cleaning out the nursery to get it ready for paint, I found my old swim bag that had in it all my stuff...cap, goggles, training buoy, even a towel and shammy! (you know those sham wow things that are all over the infomercials?  year swimmers and divers have been using them for YEARS!) Although there is no way I'm getting into the speedo that was in that bag, I did have one that would work, and it fit even 28 weeks pregnant.  I remembered a couple weeks ago that my university offers free passes to its alumni to used the Athletic center and pool, and its just down the road.  So on Tuesday I went to the office and got my alumni pass.  I had no more excuses.  For my sake, for my baby's sake, I needed to get some REAL exercise in my routine.  So I did it. I went and swam for 40 minutes last night, and it was absolutely AMAZING!  I walked into that locker room an it was like I was 16 all over again.  The smell of chlorine in the air was unmistakable.  I slid into the pool and started out and it was like I hadn't missed a day.  The old rhythms came back so easily.  Granted I got tired and out of breath quicker than I remembered, but the longer I stuck with it, the easier the breathing rhythm became.  After 40 minutes I felt so refreshed and rejuvenated that I can't for the life of me figure out why I waited so long to get back at it!  My new routine is going to be 40ish minutes Tuesdays, Thursdays, and either Saturday or Sunday.  I figure 3 days a week from now until this little man comes and then back again as soon as I can after he gets here should help keep me in decent shape.  Here's hoping.

Now the Survey:
How far along: 28 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: (As of 01/04/11) +10.8, 215.8  I have a feeling this is going to be BAD next week.
Maternity clothes: All maternity.  I really need to find a pair of tights or leggings so I can wear all my dresses that I got!
Stretch marks: Actually staying pretty under control. 
Sleep: Meh.  I'm usually waking up at least once, but I usually can roll over and go back to sleep.  The sciatica is the worst an night, and I REALLY miss sleeping on my back.
Movement: Lots and lots and lots! I love it!
Cravings: I'm surprised that I'm not really craving much of anything.  Although I did figure out why I've been wanting T@co Be|| so much...the combination of soft and crunchy I can get.
Aversions: Pretty much gone.  My love affair with food is back!
Gender: Team BLUE!!!!
Symptoms: Heartburn and Sciatica and in full force I keep a bottle of antacids in my purse, in my desk at work, in the bathroom at home and in the family room! No Nose bleeds this week!  Major Constipation! UGH!
What I miss: Sleeping on my back. 
What I look forward to: Maternity pictures hopefully sometime in the next couple weeks.  My belly button popping...its so close!!!
Moods: Up, down left, right, in, out....depends on the minute but been a lot better lately I think.
Milestones: Got the nursery half painted, hope to finish it this weekend.
Medical Concerns: Nothing really, just typical stuff for this point
Weekly Wisdom: I'm going to say it again, take time for You!  The way I felt when I got home last night is proof to me that it HAS to happen. 
Worst moment this week: Really I can't think of one.  Its been a pretty good week.
Best moment this week:  Finding 40+ prefolds and 8 covers for less than $40.  I <3 Craigslist!

1 comment:

  1. Hey sweetie! You made me itch for a pool. I wish there was something close to us. And that I was allowed, LOL. But man, you do make me miss it.

    I'm on belly button watch, too ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated. Please be respectful. You have the right to disagree with me, you do not have the right to disrespect me.